Near here the Second Corps of Grant's army camped in the winter of 1863-64. To this point came Sheridan's cavalry, the Sixth Corps from Brandy Station, and the Fifth Corps from Culpeper. The Union army moved hence to Germanna and Ely's Fords on the Rapidan River, May 4, 1864, to open the Wilderness Campaign.
Geographic Location: Culpeper County
Physical Description of Location: Stevensburg, VA 22741. Located on Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3), 0.2 miles east of the intersection of Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3) and VA-663. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Germanna Hwy (Rt. 3).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth