containertop

Onancock Marker, WY-14

Two miles west is Onancock, founded in 1680. A courthouse was then built and used for a few years. Militia barracks were there in the Revolution. From Onancock, Colonel John Cropper went to the aid of Commodore Whaley in the last naval action of the Revolution, November 30, 1782. Near by is Onley, home of Henry A. Wise, Governor of Virginia, 1856-60.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1947
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Accomack County
Physical Description of Location: Onley, VA 23418. Northern intersection of Lankford Hwy (Rt. 13) and West Main St.
GPS Location: 37.698586,-75.716663
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom