In 1833 the founders of Olive Branch Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) met for worship at Hill Pleasant Farm. By 1835, the congregation had built a brick church on land donated by Dr. Charles M. Hubbard and Mary Henley. During the Civil War, Union soldiers occupied the church; they reportedly slept in the gallery and stabled their horses in the sanctuary. The congregation worshiped in the Farthing house until 1866, when the church was restored to usable condition. With that exception, Olive Branch Christian Church, one of the oldest churches of the Disciples of Christ in Virginia, has been in continuous use since its construction
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Toano, VA 23168. Located on Richmond Road (Hwy 60), 0.5 miles northwest of the junction of Richmond Road (Hwy 60) and Croaker Road. Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on Richmond Road (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth