Half a mile north, stood the Warrascoyack Indian village. Captain John Smith obtained corn there for the starving colonists in 1608. The Warrascoyacks took part in the massacre of 1622 and their village was destroyed in 1623. In 1680, Old Town was established.
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Rushmere, VA 23430. Located on Burwells Bay Road, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Burwells Bay Road and Old Stage Hwy (Rt. 10). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Burwells Bay Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth