One block north on Cornwall Street is the site of the first Methodist-owned property in America. Lot 50 was deeded to the Methodist Society in Leesburg on May 11, 1766. In 1778, the Sixth American Conference of Methodists met there, the first such gathering in Virginia. At least two church buildings occupied the site before 1902, when the "Old Stone Church" was demolished. The churchyard is maintained as a national historic shrine of the United Methodist Church.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Leesburg, VA 20175. Located on West Market Street (Rt. 7), less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of West Market Street (Rt. 7) and South King Street (Rt. 15). Marker is on the left when traveling west on West Market Street (Rt. 7).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth