This building, erected in 1799, served as the second courthouse of Russell County and is one of the earliest public buildings still standing in Southwest Virginia. Russell County was formed in 1786 from Washington County and originally encompassed the greater part of what is now Lee, Scott, Wise, Dickenson, Buchanan, and Tazewell counties. The county sold the building when the county seat was moved to the town of Lebanon in 1818.
Geographic Location: Russell County
Physical Description of Location: Trail of the Lonesome Pine (US 58 Alt and Virginia 71), about .2 miles northeast of intersection with Snowflake Road (County Road 671), Castlewood, VA 24224.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth