This is the original campus of Randolph-Macon College, the oldest Methodist-affiliated college still operating in the United States. Chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in 1830 and named for Congressmen John Randolph of Roanoke, Charlotte County, Virginia, and Nathaniel Macon, of Warren County, North Carolina, the college opened on 9 October 1832. Dabney Cosby, a builder employed by Thomas Jefferson at the University of Virginia, was a contractor. In 1868, largely due to economic difficulties caused by the Civil War, the college was moved to Ashland, where it continues in operation. The vacated buildings later housed a freedmen's school, as well as the Boydton Academic and Bible Institute, which operated until the mid-1930s.
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: 18006-18216 U.S. 58, Boydton, VA 23917. Marker is on right when traveling east on Route 58, just after Route 58 splits into a divided highway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth