This building served as the Middlesex County courthouse from 1748 to 1852. Although much altered from its original appearance, it is one of Virginia's rare colonial courthouse buildings. During the American Revolution, the local Committee of Safety met here. According to tradition during the Civil War, it briefly housed Confederate troops. After use as the county courthouse, the building was remodeled and became a house of worship for several denominations. In 1948 Christ Church Parish transferred ownership to the Middlesex County Woman's Club, which once operated a community library here. The structure was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Geographic Location: Middlesex County
Physical Description of Location: Old Virginia Street, Urbanna, VA 23175. Marker is on right in front of old Courthouse building, just prior to interesection with Cross Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth