Smithfield served as the county seat from 1752 to 1801. The Old Isle of Wight Courthouse was built in 1752. Constructed by William Rand, it is one of Virginia's few surviving colonial structures and is notable for having a semicircular apse with a conical roof, reflective of the Colonial Capitol in Williamsburg. Converted into a residence in 1812, the courthouse was acquired by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities in 1938 and restored to its original appearance. A nearby house was converted into a tavern for the courthouse village by Rand around 1756; it was modified and enlarged over the years and is now known as the Smithfield Inn.
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Smithfield, VA 23430. Located on Main Street (Hwy 258), less than 1/5 of a mile west of the junction of Main Street (Hwy 258) and South Church Street (Rt. 10). Marker is on the right when traveling west on Main Street (Hwy 258).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth