Just east stands Old Donation Episcopal Church, built in 1736. It is the third building to serve the colonial era Lynnhaven Parish, established by 1642. The second church, once adjacent to the current building, was converted into a school in 1737. The church received its present name in the early 19th century likely in commemoration of a gift of land. An 1882 fire left only portions of its brick walls standing. The building was restored in 1916 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: 874-998 Independence Boulevard (Virginia 225), .25 miles north of intersection with N Witchduck Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23455. Marker is on right, when traveling north on Virginia 225.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth