Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Old Dominion Building E-114 | Marker History

Old Dominion Building Marker, E-114

William Lawrence Bottomley (1883-1951), the well-known architect who planned a number of sophisticated Colonial Revival houses for wealthy Richmond-area clients, also designed this large utilitarian structure. In 1946, Atlantic Rural Exposition, Inc., had it built for the State Fair of Virginia for approximately $116,000 on property then known as Strawberry Hill. The building features a two-story oval exhibition space capped by a hipped roof with twin cupolas, and has been referred to as a cattle barn, shed, covered ring, and Main Exhibit Building. It became a part of the Richmond Raceway Complex in 1999.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2001
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond, VA 23222. Located on East Laburnam Avenue, 0.25 miles east of the intersection of East Laburnam Avenue and Richmond Henrico Turnpike. Marker is on the left when traveling east on East Laburnam Avenue.
GPS Location: 37.5880274950,-77.4197302810
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth