In 1908 the General Assembly authorized ten agricultural high schools, one in each congressional district. The first such school was built in Manassas in 1908-1909 and named for Dr. Maitland C. Bennett, who donated the land. During construction, workers discovered the graves of unknown Civil War soldiers. Union veteran George Round, a Manassas school district trustee, and Confederate veteran George Tyler, school superintendent, decided to erect the school over the burials as a monument to the fallen. The school housed teacher training and elementary classes, and students conducted agricultural experiments on the grounds. The building remained a Prince William County public school until 1969.
Geographic Location: Manassas
Physical Description of Location: Manassas, VA 20110. Located on Lee Avenue, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Lee Avenue and Grant Avenue (Rt. 234). Marker is on the right when traveling west on Lee Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth