George Carter, a great-grandson of Robert "King" Carter, began this monumental mansion on his 3,408-acre estate in 1804 and embellished it over two decades. In 1827, he graced the facade with fluted Corinthian columns, endowing the Federal-style house with lightness and elegance. He also built terraced gardens, slave quarters, barns, and smokehouses, as well as a greenhouse and gristmill. In 1903, Mr. and Mrs. William Corcoran Eustis purchased Oatlands. They restored the mansion and gardens and held foxhunts on the former farmland. Their daughters donated Oatlands to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1965.
Year On Marker: 1999
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Leesburg, VA 20175. Located on James Monroe Hwy (Hwy 15), 0.5 miles south of the junction of James Monroe Hwy (Hwy 15) and Hogback Mountain Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on James Monroe Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth