First called the Church by the Spring, Oakland Grove Church may have been organized as early as 1834, but it was officially established circa 1847 as a mission of Covington Presbyterian Church. A simple brick house of worship constructed during a religious reawakening among area Presbyterians, Oakland Grove is the oldest-known church building in Alleghany County and is one of the county's chief historic landmarks. During the Civil War, Confederates used the church as a hospital, and its military significance was further enhanced by the proximity of the Jackson River depot on the Virginia Central Railroad just to the east.
Geographic Location: Alleghany County
Physical Description of Location: Covington, VA 24426. Located on Selma Low Moor Road, 1 mile west of the intersection of Selma Low Moor Road and West Ridgeway Street. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Selma Low Moor Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth