Thomas Marshall, the father of future Chief Justice John Marshall, built Oak Hill about 1773 and relocated his family there from The Hollow, their former home nearby. John Marshall resided at Oak Hill for two years until he entered the Continental army in 1775 at the age of twenty. He became the owner of the property in 1785 when his father moved to Kentucky. Although Marshall resided mostly in Washington, D.C., and Richmond, he improved Oak Hill and used it as a retreat. In 1819 his son Thomas, constructed an attached Classical Revival dwelling.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: Marshall, VA 20115. Located on Co. Road T185, 0.25 miles south of the intersection of Co. Road T185 and Co. Road 677. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Co. Road T185.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth