After the Civil War, the constitution of 1869 established a statewide system of free public schools in Virginia. Several new schools in Fauquier were identified by an assigned number. Number 18 was built on land donated by Samuel F. Shackleford. From the time of its construction in 1887 until 1910, this one-room schoolhouse served local white children. When they moved to a newer school in the nearby village of Marshall on 1910, Number 18 then served African American students until it closed in 1964. Number 18 stands today as a rare example of a once-common schoolhouse type.
Date Approved by DHR: 12/18/08
Year On Marker: 2008
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: 4108 Whiting Rd Marshall, VA 20115. Located at the intersection of East Main Street (Rt. 55) and Co. Road 622.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth