On this site stood the Nottoway Training School, the first public school to provide secondary education for African Americans in Nottoway County. In 1909, public appeals to raise funds led to the establishment of the school by 1913, making it one of the first training schools for African Americans opened in the Commonwealth. The John F. Slater Fund helped finance teachers' salaries. County training schools were built to provide rural students vocational and agricultural education, as well as to prepare them for teaching careers or college. Nottoway Training School became an accredited high school in 1931. It closed in 1950 when the Luther H. Foster High School opened.
Geographic Location: Nottoway County
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of the intersection of Rocky Bump Road (State Route 668) and Epes Street, Blackstone, VA 23824.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth