containertop

Nottoway County Marker, Z-45

Nottoway County was formed from Amelia County by the General Assembly in 1788. In July 1781, legendary American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco encountered about nine of British Lt. Gen. Banastre Tarleton's dragoons at Ward's Tavern. Using his legendary strength and cunning, Francisco single-handedly bested his enemies. The county seat is Nottoway. The Roman Revival courthouse there was completed in 1843 by Branch H. Ellington to replace a 1798 courthouse. The new structure included elements of Thomas Jefferson's architectural style in its design. Former Virginia Governor William Hodges Mann (1843-1927) lived in the county.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/08/06
Year On Marker: 2006
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Lunenburg County
Physical Description of Location: Kenbridge, VA 23944. Located on Blackstone Road (Rt. 40), 1.75 miles northeast of the junction of Blackstone Road (Rt. 40) and State Route 600. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Blackstone Road (Rt. 40).
GPS Location: 37.010902,-78.070471
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom