The Virginia General Assembly incorporated the Northumberland Academy in 1818. The school provided a classical education for male students to prepare them for college or positions of leadership in the community. Because universal state funded public education did not commence in Virginia until 1870, this was an important regional educational facility. Between 30 to 70 students studied at the academy and a three story educational building stood on a 125-acre tract near here. The trustees sold the school in 1853 and R. S. Lawrence, then Robert Hall, and finally William P. Hudgins operated it privately, until it burned late in 1864 or early in 1865.
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Northumberland Highway (US 360), Heathsville, VA 22473. Marker is on right about 1000 feet past Northumberland High School when traveling east on 360.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth