Approved by the Virginia General Assembly in 1818, the North West Canal was constructed by the Dismal Swamp Canal Company between 1828 and 1830. The canal was intended for carrying timber and farm products between the Dismal Swamp Canal and the Northwest River and as an alternate route to the Atlantic Ocean via the Currituck Inlet; however, the silting of the inlet in 1837 eliminated this latter use. The canal was about 24 feet wide and 4 feet deep and extended nearly 7 miles. It fell into disuse during the Civil War and by 1871 a drought necessitated the closing off of the canal to conserve water.
Geographic Location: Chesapeake
Physical Description of Location: Chesapeake, VA 23323. Located on Margaret Brooke Drive, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Margaret Brooke Drive and George Washington Hwy. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Margaret Brooke Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth