Three miles south is North Bend, a Greek Revival residence built in 1819. Sarah Minge, sister of President William Henry Harrison, and her husband, John, built the original portion of the house located on Kittiewan Creek. Thomas H. Wilcox greatly enlarged the dwelling in 1853. General Sheridan established his Union headquarters here while his 30,000 men crossed the James River on a pontoon bridge at Weyanoke.
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, 0.75 miles east of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and The Glebe Lane. Marker is on the right when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth