Norfolk Naval Shipyard, the nation's first government-owned yard, was privately founded here as Gosport Shipyard on 1 Nov. 1767. Virginia seized it in 1776, and it served the state navy during the American Revolution. The U.S. Navy leased it in 1794 and bought it in 1801. Drydock One, started in 1827, opened on 17 June 1833. Construction began in 1837 on the central brick portion of Quarters A, the residence of shipyard commanders. Frame wings were added in 1890 and 1910. Quarters B and C (north) date from 1837 to 1842. All four structures are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Geographic Location: Portsmouth
Physical Description of Location: 101-299 Lincoln Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704. Marker is on right when traveling down Lincoln Street towards the river.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth