One of the two churches of Cople Parish. It was built in 1704 on land given by Youell Watkins, and was replaced in 1755 by a brick church on the same site. George Washington attended services here twice in 1768. The last colonial church was burned (1814) by the British Admiral Cockburn, who carried off the church silver. The present building was erected about 1852. The first Nominy Church of 1655 stood on the north side of the river opposite this place.
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: 3683-3699 Cople Highway (Virginia 202), Montross, VA 22520. Marker is on left in front of church when traveling east on Virginia 202.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth