Nearby stood the original "Nomony" (early variant spelling) Meetinghouse. On 29 Apr. 1786, 17 members established Nomini Baptist Church. Until 1790, when the meetinghouse was built on land donated by charter member Joseph Peirce, the congregation met in the homes of Peirce, Samuel Templeman, and Elizabeth Steptoe. With 875 members by 1809, Nomini was the largest Baptist church in Virginia. The meetinghouse served the congregation for almost three-quarters of a century until replaced in 1858-59 by the present brick structure located at Templeman's Crossroads nearby. Nomini Baptist Church is the mother church of ten congregations in three counties.
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: 7701-7899 Menokin Road (State Route 690), about 1.1 miles south of intersection with Kings Highway (Virginia 3), Montross, VA 22520.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth