Nomini Baptist Church was established on 29 April 1786 with 17 members. By 1809 it was reputedly the largest Baptist church in Virginia with 875 members. The original meetinghouse, built nearby in 1790 on land donated by a charter member, Captain Joseph Pierce, was replaced in 1858-59 by the present brick church. During the past two centuries Nomini Baptist Church has had 27 ministers, beginning with Elder Henry Toler, and is considered the mother church of ten congregations in three counties.
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: 18695-19255 Kings Highway (Virginia 3), in front of church, Montross, VA 22520. Marker is on left when traveling east on Virginia 3.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth