This place became the county seat when Craig County was formed in 1851. The courthouse was built in 1851 and remodeled in 1935. General Averell passed through New Castle in his raid of December, 1863, and General Hunter in June, 1864. The town was incorporated in 1890.
Geographic Location: Craig County
Physical Description of Location: New Castle, VA 24127. Located on Salem Avenue (Rt. 322), 0.25 miles south of the intersection of Salem Avenue (Rt. 322) and Main Street (Rt. 42). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Salem Avenue (Rt. 322).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth