In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Nelson County
Physical Description of Location: James River Road (Virginia 56), Wingina, VA 24599. Marker is on left when traveling south on Virginia 56, about 500 feet past intersection with Norwood Road (State Route 647).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth