Nelson County Marker, Z-21

In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 12/17/09
Year On Marker: 2009
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 21233 Thomas Nelson Hwy Faber, VA 22938. Located on Thomas Nelson Hwy, 1 mile northeast of the junction of Thomas Nelson Hwy and State Route 615. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Thomas Nelson Hwy.
GPS Location: 37.864341,-78.734112
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth