containertop

Nelson County Marker, Z-20

In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 9660 Rockfish Gap Turnpike Afton, VA 22920. Located on Rockfish Gap Turnpike, 0.25 miles east of the junction of Rockfish Gap Turnpike and Afton Mountain Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Rockfish Gap Turnpike.
GPS Location: 38.038262,-78.833529
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom