In the foothills of Virginia's Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The Nelson County courthouse was built under the supervision of George Varnum in 1809, according to the plans submitted by Sheldon Crostwait, one of the justices. Though the courthouse has been modified and enlarged over the years, it is one of Virginia's best-preserved historic court structures.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Geographic Location: Amherst County
Physical Description of Location: Amherst, VA 24521. Located on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360), 2 miles south of the intersection of Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360) and Tye Brook Hwy. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Patrick Henry Hwy (Rt. 360).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth