Named for the narrows in New River. The place was occupied by Confederate troops under French and Jackson in May, 1864. Combining with McCausland, they forced the Union General Crook to evacuate Blacksburg. Crook passed here on his way to West Virginia. The Norfolk and Western Railroad came in 1884; the Virginian in 1910. The town was incorporated in 1904.
Geographic Location: Giles County
Physical Description of Location: Narrows, VA 24124. Located on MacArthur Lane (Rt. 61), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of MacArthur Lane (Rt. 61) and Main Street (Rt. 100). Marker is on the right when traveling north on MacArthur Lane (Rt. 61).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth