Mulberry Point is situated on the James River, on the grounds of present-day Fort Eustis. In 1609-1610, the harsh winter known as the “Starving Time” prompted the surviving colonists at Jamestown to abandon it. They and the recently arrived Lieutenant Governor Sir Thomas Gates sailed away on 7 June 1610, bound for Newfoundland and the English fishing fleet. The next day, about ten miles downstream at Mulberry point, they encountered relief ships under the governor, Lord De La Warr, bearing new colonists and supplies, and turned back. This timely arrival saved Jamestown, which might have become England’s second “lost colony.”
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 16899-16941 Warwick Blvd (Route 60), Newport News, VA 23603.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth