containertop

Mt. Zion Baptist Church (Piscataway Baptist Church) Marker, O-41

Founded nearby as Piscataway Baptist Church on 13 Mar. 1774, Mt. Zion Baptist Church was the first Baptist church in the region. Endeavoring to stop the spread of the Baptist movement, local authorities arrested Baptist ministers John Waller, John Shackleford, Robert Ware, and Ivison Lewis after the first church service for "preaching and expounding the Scriptures contrary to the law." In 1818 the church moved across the road from this site. The current brick building was constructed in 1854. In 1856 the congregation changed its name to Mt. Zion Baptist Church.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: Tappahannock, VA 22560. Located on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460), 0.2 miles west of the intersection of Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460) and Dunbrooke Road. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460).
GPS Location: 37.829141,-76.945607
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom