On this site stood the Monacan Indian Town of Mowhemcho, noted on John Smith’s map of 1612. The Monacan homeland encompassed all of Virginia’s Piedmont. In 1670, Indian townspeople welcomed explorer John Lederer’s party with “volleys of shot.” The town was later destroyed by colonists, possibly by trader William Claiborne, and most of the Indians were killed. French Huguenots settled here in 1700, and Monacan survivors visited them at the site, then called Manakin Town, to trade. By 1722 the Monacans had moved west, along the James River. Today, Monacan Nation headquarters are just north of the James, near Lynchburg.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Powhatan County
Physical Description of Location: 903-999 Huguenot Trail (Virginia 711), Midlothian, VA 23113. Marker is on right when traveling southeast on Virginia 711, about .25 miles southeast of intersection with Manakintown Ferry Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth