George Washington acquired Mount Vernon in 1754. Over a period of 30 years, he transformed the simple farmhouse into a mansion embellished with rusticated wood siding, a cupola, and a portico overlooking the Potomac River. Every aspect of the estate--its architecture and decoration, the landscape and the farms--received Washington's careful attention. Despite long absences during the Revolution and his presidency, Washington kept Mount Vernon as his home until his death on 14 December 1799. Since 1858, the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association has maintained and meticulously restored the estate as a true reflection of Washington's character and personality.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Alexandria, VA 22309. Located on Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235), less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235) and George Washinton Memorial Pkwy. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy (Rt. 235).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth