In Aug. 1862, during the Civil War, Union Maj. Gen. John Pope established a signal station on Mount Pony, just northeast of here. On the summit of the mountain, a high scaffold was constructed out of trees for an observation post and a communication center. Because of the good visibility, "powerful glasses" were used to watch troop movements from this vantage point. Both the Federal and Confederate Signal Corps used this site during the war. Other signal stations were built by the Union army on Stony Mountain, Cedar Mountain, Thoroughfare Mountain, and Clark's Mountain.
Geographic Location: Culpeper County
Physical Description of Location: Culpeper, VA 22701. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), less than 1/5 of a mile southwest of the intersection of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and James Monroe Hwy (Hwy 29). Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth