Mount Pleasant, a venerable stone dwelling exemplifying traditional Shenandoah Valley domestic architecture, was likely erected after John Archer acquired the property in 1761. Colonel George Moffett (1735-1811), bought the property from Archer's estate and lived here until his death. During the Revolutionary War, Moffett led the Augusta militia. According to local tradition, in June 1781 shelter was provided here to some members of the General Assembly fleeing British troops. Moffett also served as the county lieutenant for Augusta County, a justice of the peace, and a trustee of Liberty Academy, now Washington and Lee University. The Moffett family sold the property in 1826 and the interior was remodeled at that time.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/19/08
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Augusta County
Physical Description of Location: Staunton, VA 24401. Located on State Route 736, 2 miles northeast of the intersection of State Route 736 and State Route 732. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on State Route 736.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth