The members of Mount Moriah Baptist Church belong to one of the region's earliest African American congregations, originating in a Sunday school for slaves established in the mid-1800s by Dr. Charles L. Cocke, founder of Hollins College. The group gained permission in 1858 to build its first church. The present church, the congregation's third, was built about 1908. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1994. The nearby cemetery was expanded from a former slave burial ground.
Geographic Location: Roanoke (City)
Physical Description of Location: 3601-3655 Orange Avenue NE (US 460 and 220 and 221), Roanoke, VA 24012. Marker is about .15 miles north of intersection with King Street NE.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth