The Morgan Jones Kiln, located 5.2 miles north of here, operated for a short time in 1677. According to Westmoreland County records, Morgan Jones and Dennis White entered into a partnership for the “making and selling of Earthen ware,” which provided utilitarian pottery to settlers in the Chesapeake Bay area. An archaeological excavation in 1973 uncovered Jones’s kiln and fragments of his pottery, marking available a valuable dating tool for other archaeological sites in the Delmarva area. Since that time, many examples of his wares have been found in archaeological sites across the Tidewater region.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: The Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: North corner of intersection between Cople Highway (Virginia 202) and Mt. Holly Road (State Road 621), Montross, VA 22520.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth