This property was home of Philip Aylett (1791-1848), for whom the village is named and who served in both the Virginia House and Senate. His son, William Roane Aylett (1833-1900), who rose to colonel in the Confederate army and later served as commonwealth's attorney, also lived here. Until the early 20th century, two frame houses stood here side by side. The first incorporated an 1800 one-and-a-half story section with an 1830s two-story addition; this house was called Aylett's. The second house, the present Montville, dates to the mid-19th century and is a mirror image of the first, which burned in the early 1900s.
Geographic Location: King William County
Physical Description of Location: Aylett, VA 23009. Located on Richmond-Tappahannock Hwy (Hwy 360), 1 mile south of the junction of Richmond-Tappahannock Hwy (Hwy 360) and West River Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Richmond-Tappahannock Hwy (Hwy 360).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth