The Monticello Wine Company's four-story brick building was located on the middle of Perry Drive on the north side. Founded in 1873 using grapes from local vineyards, it operated until about the time Prohibition began in Virginia in Nov. 1916. Spurred by production increases and highest-awards honors from exhibitions in the United States and abroad, the Charlottesville region proclaimed itself the "Capital of the Wine Belt in Virginia." In 1904 its wine was used to christen the USS Virginia. The building was last used as a storage facility until fire destroyed it in 1937. The home of the winery's general manager, Adolph Russow, stands nearby at 212 Wine Street.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Charlottesville, VA 22902. Located on McIntire Road, 0.4 miles north of the intersection of McIntire Road and High Street East. Marker is on the right when traveling north on McIntire Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth