A bequest of Samuel Miller (1792-1869) provided funds to found the Miller School in 1878. Miller, a Lynchburg businessman born in poverty in Albemarle County, envisioned a regional school for children who could not afford an education. The school was a pioneer in combining the value of hands-on labor with a liberal arts education. Coeducational from 1884 until 1928, then all male, the school became coeducational again in 1992. Built on property once owned by Miller, the principal building ("Old Main") was designed by Albert Lybrock and D. Wiley Anderson in the High Victorian Gothic style. Miller School was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1973 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 1301 Miller School Rd Samuel Miller, VA 22903. Located on Co Road 635, 0.2 miles southwest of the junction of Co Road 635 and Co Road 637. Marker is on the left when traveling southwest on Co Road 635.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth