Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Millboro Q-14 | Marker History

Millboro Marker, Q-14

Millboro began as a settlement around Cady's Tunnel, built by the Central Virginia Railroad. By 1856 the tracks extended from Richmond to Cabin Creek nearby. During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers marched westward down the old Crooked Spur road; army supplies unloaded here were hauled in wagons pulled by confiscated horses. After the war, the town prospered while the railroad brought hundreds of travelers bound for the nearby springs resorts, and while its stockyards shipped large numbers of livestock. When automobile travel and truck-hauling increased, the railroad declined. Stockyards emptied, hotels closed, businesses left, and Millboro settled into a quiet life.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1996
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Bath County
Physical Description of Location: 24019. Located on State Route 637, 4.75 miles southwest of the intersection of State Route 637 and Maury River Road (Rt. 39). Marker is on the right when traveling southwest on State Route 637.
GPS Location: 37.974952,-79.603057
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth