containertop

Midlothian Coal Mines Marker, O-35

South of here are the Midlothian Coal Mines, probably the oldest coal mines in America. Coal was first mined here before 1730, and during the Revolution, coal from these mines supplied the cannon foundry at Westham. The first railroad in Virginia was built from the Midlothian mines to the town of Manchester in 1831. The mines produced coal that was used in casting cannon at the Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond during the Civil War. Mining operations ceased in 1923.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1987
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23113. Located on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60), 0.4 miles west of the intersection of Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60) and North Woodbridge Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60).
GPS Location: 37.5025219650,-77.6473530450
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom