This well-known colonial church's architectural form and detail is typical of early and mid-18th-century Virginia churches. Located half a mile south, the building has Flemish-bond brickwork, modillion cornice, and a gracefully splayed gable roof. Although most of its original interior features were lost during the Civil War, the gallery, stone aisle pavers, and roof framing survived and were repaired by 1870. Historic restoration began in the 1960s and was completed in the 1970s. The original wood trusses were reinforced in 2004. The property was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1968 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Geographic Location: Prince George County
Physical Description of Location: West corner of intersection between James River Drive (Virginia 10) and Moody Road (State Route 641), Hopewell, VA 23860.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth