Built in 1892 by Franklin Hiser Wissler to provide access to his apple orchards at Strathmore Farms, this is the longest remaining covered bridge in Virginia. A 200-foot single span located one-half mile northwest, the bridge is a Burr Truss design, a combination of arch with vertical and diagonal supports. All construction materials were obtained locally. Damaged by arsonists in 1976, the bridge was restored and reopened in 1979.
Geographic Location: Shenandoah County
Physical Description of Location: Old Valley Pike (Route 11), .7 miles north of intersection with State Route 730. Marker is on left when traveling north.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth