In 1915, four influential African American residents of South Hill—the Rev. J. H. Simmons, Mary E. Simmons, Robert Walker, and James E. Skipwith—established the Mecklenburg County Training School for black students. The school operated in the True Reformer Lodge Hall for three terms before a two-room frame building was constructed in 1918. Matilda M. Booker, Jeanes supervisor of black teachers in 1920, secured $1,500 from the Rosenwald Fund and encouraged parents to raise another $3,000 for a new school building. With the county’s aid, the 500-student school was completed near here in 1925. It burned in 1942.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: 401-411 Meadow Street, South Hill, VA 23970. Marker is located behind the RT Arnold Public Library.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth