The land comprising Meadow Farm was first patented by William Sheppard in 1713. In 1800, Sheppard family slaves thwarted plans for a well-organized slave uprising known as Gabriel's Insurrection. The farmhouse was built in 1810. Dr. John Mosby Sheppard practiced medicine at Meadow Farm between 1840 and 1877. The last private owner of Meadow Farm, Major General Sheppard Crump, was a founding member of the American Legion and Adjutant General of Virginia from 1956-1960. Until 1960, the Sheppard family farmed the land, growing a variety of grains and tobacco.
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Glen Allen, VA 23060. Located on Meadow Farm Drive, 0.2 miles north of the junction of Meadow Farm Drive and Mountain Road. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Meadow Farm Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth