Mattoax was located to the south on the Appomattox River. John Randolph, Sr., built a house there in the 1770s that burned after 1810; it was the boyhood home of his son, John Randolph of Roanoke. Mattoax also was the residence of St. George Tucker, a noted jurist, and his sons: Henry St. George Tucker, lawyer and legislator, and Nathaniel Beverley Tucker, novelist and law professor. In 1854 Sylvester J. Pearce built a second house on the site that stood until the 1930s.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Petersburg, VA 23803. Located on River Road (Rt. 36), 2.25 miles east of the intersection of River Road (Rt. 36) and Pickett Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling east on River Road (Rt. 36).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth