To the north, after the 1644-1646 conflict between colonists and groups still loyal to the Powhatan chiefdom, the Mattaponi Indians found refuge on the headwaters of Piscataway Creek. Officers of then Old Rappahannock County signed a treaty with the Mattaponi in 1656. By 1660, however, the Mattaponi's English neighbors were pressuring them to leave and in 1662 some colonists burned the chief's English-style house. The chief complained to the governor and an agreement was reached that three Englishmen would pay compensation and the tribe would relocate. By 1668, these Mattaponi had moved to the middle region of the Mattaponi River in King William County.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: Tappahannock, VA 22560. Located on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460), 0.4 miles west of the intersection of Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460) and Dunbrooke Road. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Richmond Hwy (Hwy 460).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth